You wouldn’t let any other part of your home go without its maintenance, so why is your chimney any different? If you feel like part of your chimney is not performing properly, you should have it checked before matters get even worse. With warmer weather here, now is the time to call the people at Ace Chimney Sweeps.

How can you hurt your chimney by neglecting it?

Chimney Sweeping

Neglected Masonry Chimney - Elkton MD - Ace Chimney Sweeps

The easiest thing on your chimney checklist is to have a sweeping done. If this is not done in a timely manner, creosote will collect on the inside of the chimney and could cause your home and family danger. When the creosote has long enough to sink into the structure it will begin to smell, especially in the summer months.

The creosote will also form clumps on the inside of your chimney, which are very easy to heat up. When this happens you are in higher risk for a chimney fire. These fires can be so hot that they are almost explosive and can overtake your home in seconds. Also the clumps can alter the draft, which allows the air to flow out of the chimney. This means that harmful gases like Carbon Monoxide can be trapped inside of the home. If you have CO poisoning you may start to feel symptoms ranging from headache and fatigue to chest pains and fatality. If you seek medical attention in time they can possibly treat you in office. However, if you have extreme symptoms you may need to be admitted to the hospital to receive oxygen.

Missing and Broken Parts

If part of you chimney is broken, you should have it fixed so that it does not lead to other problems. Chimney caps are something that should be installed and kept in working order to prevent water, animals, and other pieces of nature from getting inside. It is also important to be sure that your flashing is not damaged or loose so your chimney and roof are protected.


If you think you have found mold on your chimney, you should call for help. Mold grows rapidly and can spread to the foundation and air supply of your home. The mold is usually formed in the cracks that are made in the bricks and mortar from the constant freezing and thawing of precipitation. To help prevent this from happening, you can look into having your chimney waterproofed.