One of the most important safety practices you should follow in your home is installing smoke and carbon monoxide detectorcarbon monoxide detector alarms; however, many homeowners only have smoke alarms installed. If you do not also have carbon monoxide alarms set up with your smoke detectors, you are putting yourself and your family at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. This illness can easily happen if the poisonous gas carbon monoxide leaks into your home because of a problem with your fireplace or other heating appliance. According to the National Safety Council, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that carbon monoxide poisoning kills more than 400 Americans each year, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission states that 170 of those people die from carbon monoxide that is produced by non-automotive products. At Ace Chimney Sweeps, your safety is our top priority, and this is why we would like to tell you more about why carbon monoxide is so dangerous and how you can prevent it from entering your home.

Why is carbon monoxide so dangerous?

The main reason why this toxic gas is so hazardous is because it is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. Often, this invisible gas goes undetected and kills its victims while they are sleeping, and this is why it is so important to have carbon monoxide detector alarms installed in your home. Every time fuel is burned, carbon monoxide is produced, and certain issues with your chimney and fireplace system can cause an overproduction of this poisonous gas. Although infants, the elderly, and people with respiratory problems are at a higher risk, anyone can be in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

The signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include weakness, dizziness, shortness of breath, nausea, headache, and blurred vision. Because many of these symptoms are so similar to those of the flu and the common cold, carbon monoxide poisoning can be difficult to properly diagnose. If you or a member of your family continues to have these symptoms after two weeks, you should go to your doctor and ask for your blood to be tested for carbon monoxide.

How can I prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?

To keep you and your family safe from this illness, the National Safety Council recommends that you install carbon monoxide detector alarms throughout your home. Ace Chimney Sweeps strongly agrees with this recommendation, and we suggest that you install one of these alarms on every level of your home and in each bedroom as well. Another way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home is to have your chimney swept and inspected every year by certified chimney professionals. For over 20 years, we have been providing this chimney maintenance service to the Elkton, MD area, and we are happy to make sure your chimney is free from any issues that could allow carbon monoxide to leak into your home.

Keep your family safe from carbon monoxide poisoning. Contact us today at Ace Chimney Sweeps to schedule an appointment for your annual chimney maintenance services.